Registered Music Therapist
Hi, I’m Selena. I’m a Registered Music Therapist, mother of two, wife, musician and singer/songwriter and I’m passionate about Music Therapy.
I grew up in New Zealand and went to Queensland to study performance and music, then to travel and perform overseas before running my own company for several years in Sydney, developing and running drama/music workshops for children. It was in Sydney too that I completed my Masters degree in Music Therapy. Since graduating I’ve had extensive experience in dementia care as well as working with children and young adults on the autism spectrum. Now settled in Hobart I am delighted to have established Hobart Music Therapy, offering all the benefits that Music Therapy can bring to enrich lives in so many ways.
I’ve trained in Neurologic Music Therapy, IMCAP-ND Music Therapy Assessment Level 1, Arthur Hull Drum Circle Facilitation, Rhythm to Recovery, DrumPower and attended and presented at conferences and symposiums.
My Approach & Values
At Hobart Music Therapy not all music therapy sessions look the same or follow the same format.
What a music therapy session may look like for you or someone you care for could be different from what I provide for another client. That’s because I believe music therapy is an evolving process and I approach sessions according to individual needs and moods on the day. We all respond in different ways and we have all have good days and not so good days.
Thoughts, ideas, emotions can all be expressed through music. Resilience and self-awareness along with many other attributes may develop through interaction with music. Sometimes when words aren’t enough or aren’t available, music can create magic.
- Eight years in private practice working in aged care, disability and corporate team training
- Three years as Giant Steps Community College Music Therapist (program for young adults with ASD)
- Five years working as part of multi-disciplinary teams of allied health professionals
My Education and Training
- Bachelor of Arts (Music and Drama) – QUT
- Master of Arts in Music Therapy – UTS
- Understanding Dementia – UTAS
- Neurologic Music Therapy training
- Rhythm to Recovery facilitator training
Ask a question or book an appointment below.